Friday, November 15, 2013

NaBloPoMo: Day 15 "Halfway"

Halfway through the month, and I find myself feeling concern. I like blogging, and I always have. But when this month ends, how am I going to keep myself on a regular blogging diet? How strict will I be with myself when there's no tidy finish line, and no distinct goal? Or maybe in the near future, will I find a specific goal to reach for with my blog?

In a way, I've already decided on a goal for the bloggy future, but it may or may not be on this particular site. As you now know, if you've been following my posts, I have big plans to get into the hostel business. I have TWO years at least, before I'll have a hostel of my own, though, and in those two years, I plan to do several things to prepare myself for the upcoming life changes:

1. Take some online business management courses. Coursera.com has several appropriate (and free!) courses I plan on taking to prop up my admittedly weak understanding of business and finance.

2. Create a separate blog/tumblr about hostels. Part design ideas, part "what makes a good hostel," part hostel review, part travel blog - I haven't narrowed down the focus yet, but it'll be informative and fun (if you're into hostels, that is). And pretty. Lots of photos. I like blogs with lots of big photos (says the girl who has no photo to insert into this post today... /hypocrite).
Are you into hostels? What kinds of things would you like to see and/or read about regarding them?

3. Buy a website for my company, and sit on it. I already think I know the name of my company, so why not go ahead and purchase the web domain rights and park on it?

4. Keep dreaming. I have a couple of very big ideas lurking around in my brain for my hostels. A new way of doing things. A great way of doing things. Now I just have to decide which dreams I really want, and which I'm going to doggedly pursue until I can make them reality. Call me crazy, or just a product of my very lucky circumstances, but I believe I can make things happen, if I really want them to happen. And if I really, really work for them. Heck, that's why I'm here in Korea teaching, when I'd rather be somewhere else.

And that's all for tonight folks.

Carpe November!

P.S. Abs, CHECK. (I hate planks. HATE. Hate.)
Squats, CHECK.
Minimalism, CHEEEECCCKKK!!! This was so timing appropriate! As you might recall from an earlier post, I'm organizing all my photos from my mini laptop and uploading them to an online cloud. However, I realized I didn't want to only have them in one place, so I suggested to Adam that we purchase an external hard drive to store backups of photos. Today's minimalism challenge was to really weigh the pros and cons before actually buying something you wanted. Adam and I chatted back and forth during our work days today, and decided that the pros (faster computer, backup, doesn't take much space, affordable) outweighed the cons (one more item accumulated, potentially bad financial timing). Before buying online, though, we inquired with a local group of expats here in Gwangju who specialize in tech stuff and repairs. We try to go to them first with tech issues, because they have annual fund-raising events where they repair donated electronics and then auction them off on Facebook, giving all the proceeds to certain orphanages or other good causes in the city. They had a drive available, we bought it, and we'll receive it in 2 days. BOOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment