Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thankvember 11/27

Today, I am thankful for photographs!

And I'm thankful for my poor point-and-click camera, which is dying a surprisingly slow and painful-looking death. I have no idea what magic Fujifilm glue is keeping its pieces together, but it is quite literally hanging together at this point. (Time for a christmas present for myself, non? ^_^) It's too bad I can't take a photo of my camera to show you the damage. Just use your imagination.

This particular camera only dates back to the first several months of my job at Little Linguists Int'l Preschool. It got a crazy-intense workout that year! We took photos of our kids almost daily, and posted them on a share site for the parents to melt over (well, and us, too). It was also toddler-handled by the occasional classroom thief-cum-photographer. So, really it's impressive that this relatively cheap machine managed to live through that year AND a brief but turbulent visit to Asia AND a year and 1/2 in the muggy swamplands that are New Orleans.

I had a point-and-click camera before this one that was even more stalwart - it made it through 3 years of college, a semester abroad, AND a year in Europe.

I'm pretty rough on my digital cameras, so if you happen to know of a hardy, travel-friendly brand please let me know. I'm in the market.

I am crazy about photographs. I dig MY photographs - ones that dredge up memories, smells, nostalgia, feelings. I get a kick out of photos of people I love. I also enjoy looking at photos taken by true artists, professionals, and lucky amateurs.

It's brilliant. Capturing a moment, not even that, a fraction of a moment. Or an expression. Or a phenomenon.

I don't have a really great memory for the past. Never have had. I can tell you exactly who is sleeping in each bed in this hostel at this moment, first and last names, but not for last month. (Or last week, erm)

So, photos are a beautiful thing to me - one of the most visceral ways of reminding myself of my LIFE. Of things forgotten. Of what's important... or not so important, but hilarious, perhaps. Or just an event. Or person. Or flower or food or animal or sunrise/set/view.... Everything!

Tonight, Adam and I took a lot of photos so we could flirt with the idea of sending out Christmas cards (don't get your hopes up.). I looked back through them, and just have the biggest smile plastered on my face right now. I grinned the entire time it took to tweak and edit them a twitch. I'm smiling now, just thinking about them.

I think I owe this blog an apology. Frankly, I believe that my fellow bloggess, the Ginger Penny Pincher, put it correctly when she stated that every post should really have at least one picture for everyone to look at, even if it's a completely off-topic photo of her dogs.

So! I'm going to do my utmost to uphold this utterly astute objective. (Nod to your penchant for alliteration, GPP ^_^) Apologies for all the boring, picture-deprived posts you've had recently, which I am sure you read through in entirety despite the lack of visual stimuli. Riiiight?

Anyways, fear not! Here are some very on-topic pics from our twinkly photo shoot in the hostel office tonight:

Mad hatters

"Office Workers"

Handsome

No comments:

Post a Comment