Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankvember 11/24

TODAY is the BIG DAY!:

The day that inspired these 30 days of Thankfulness.
I don't remember who it was on facebook who inspired me to begin this Thankvember month (Brandi?), but I'm so happy you did. It's been a refreshing and delightful way to spend my last full month in New Orleans. I noticed someone else (who's also doing the 30 days of Thankfulness on FB) said that it gets harder as you get further along in the month, implying that they were running out of choices. I disagree! I feel like I could write a post a day for the rest of my life detailing something else for which I'm thankful.

:
Friends,
jobs,
family members,
memories,
childhood,
future hopes,
lessons learned,
gifts received,
physical capability,
mental capability,
awards earned,
talents acquired,
love shared,
freedom...
...
...
...

But this is what I'm thankful for TODAY (as tweeted earlier today):


Anna Bellury Volle
Day 24 of Thankvember: I'm thankful for THANKSGIVING DAY! Despite historical inaccuracies & blatant greed, it still reminds us to give thanks <3
 
Nothing is perfect. Not history, not this mixed-up-yet-proud country, not the people in it. There are negatives to every positive. As stunning as it was to see those 10+ families camped out in front of Best Buy on WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON to prepare for Black Friday, I know that there are 10 more families sharing meals and quality time together and being thankful for what they've got. 

As much I agree with the Aussie girl in our hostel kitchen chirping about what a load of rot this holiday's history is, I can't help loving what it has been for me and my family/friends. We've always had enough. We have more than enough, now. We are blessed. We are loved.

And I am so thankful.

So thanks, Thanksgiving, for reminding me of all this.


No comments:

Post a Comment