Late again...Wrote this YESTERDAY:
TODAY, I am thankful for my fully-functional vocal cords. I am reminded of this fabulous gift in the light of my imminent escapade to Little Tokyo's private Karaoke rooms with my hubbs and friend Mariya + her Adam. (20 minutes or so from now)
I think karaoke is one of the most brilliant inventions of man. Singing is (most of the time) one of those natural highs - belting, warbling, crooning, and yodeling are all forms of personal expression and FREEDOM. Be loud! Use your diaphragm for once! Emote! Sing!
I LOVE SINGING.
In Korea, Adam and I used to go to Karaoke joints, get a private karaoke room, then sing whatever we wanted to sing, just the 2 of us, without worrying about the other liking/knowing the song. UBER FUN.
I also owe thanks to my family for this particular joy, because my childhood pretty much was "The Bellury Family Musical." We all love singing and making music and sharing that music among friends and fam. Mom and Dad were always singing/playing songs on the piano. Now all my siblings EXCEPT me are in bands - some of them in multiple bands. Music means a lot to us.
And to further illustrate the point... I will never forget the utter hilarity of a particular moment in my family's musical history: we were all 7 (I think) sitting down to dinner, and we had 2 guests, Mary G and Hamilton B. Someone said the word "clover."
And at the exact same moment - I KID YOU NOT - every Bellury at the table not only broke out into Tommy James' song "Crimson & Clover" but used our index fingers to vibrate our vocal chords to mimic the sound of the chorus. I think we might have scarred Mary for life, hopefully in some positive way. ^_^
Singing at the top of my lungs is akin to spontaneous dancing for me - an explosion of Anna-guts that feels oh-so good to release without inhibition. Of course, we all have inhibitions in public, to one degree or another. Theatre was one delightful way I was able to dramatize myself (does that sentence work? Whatever.), and I miss it. I'll have more opportunities to dip my toes back into theatre in the future, but for now I will grab any opportunity to share some laughs and songs in Karaoke rooms and big open spaces. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment