Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thankvember 11/15

Today, I am thankful for my violin. It isn't fancy or expensive or even atmospherically beat up, but it belonged to my grandfather, Papa B, and he gave it to me when I decided I was going to start learning the instrument.

Actually, I decided I wanted to learn violin a looooong time ago. There were even a few group lessons I took as a kid, but that didn't last long, for one reason or another. Violin has always been one of my favorite instruments, if not my favorite, most likely due to my penchant for the dramatic/emotional. String instruments are very emotional. :)

I have had the PRIVILEGE of taking lessons at an incredible price - from a talented musician - for the past  year (give or take a month). Tucker was my first violin teacher, but be assured that he won't be my last. Today however, was my last lesson - for New Orleans at least. I made it through the first Suzuki book for violins, and look forward to completing many many more books, lessons and pieces of music.

Papa B's violin will accompany me wherever I go, from now on, and wherever we end up, I plan to find an instructor and take lessons. In Korea, even the elementary school kids play violin better than I, so it shouldn't be hard. :D





Also: grateful for music, for the band Leahy and all the inspiration they've given me over the years, all the gadgets and accoutrements my parents got me for christmas one year (see mom? It was worth it!).

Play it again, Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment