June was just last month! Craaaaazy... We had 2 long stretches of work, as our regular relief (Boss 1) was on vacation for most of the month, and Boss 2 flew in from Michigan for 1.5 weeks to give us a couple of much-needed days off. We had a fabulous 2 days in a row during that time, and we spent 2 nights at a really gorgeous hotel in the French Quarter, Hotel Monteleone. Other than that, we stayed really busy keeping everything running as smoothly as possible in the absence of bosses. (I secretly really loved that time when it was just us, because it felt a little like it really was OUR hostel. Ours, however, will be infinitely more satisfying to run, naturally.) Adam's BD typewriter arrived, and he immediately set to work on a short story, which he just finished last week (woohoo!). Both he and I have really been enjoying working on the machine.
ANNA
ANNA
After 11 straight days of work, Thurs & Fri can't come soon enough. We're getting 2 days off in a row to make up 4 the long stretch - w00t!
Japanese girl (VERY little English) asks directions to N.O. MuseumOfArt, then says "Thank you. I love you. You're beautiful," & heads out for the day. Aw :)
We be living la vida loca! Spent 1st of 2 nights @ posh Hotel Monteleone,concierge does Krav Maga w Adam & gave us a SWEET suite: 2 rooms! 2bathrooms!
Today: free brkfast, work out, X-men 1st Class @ theater, scooter ridin', swimming pool on roof of hotel(!), dinner, jazz, bubble bath #thisisthelife :D
That about wraps up a glorious 2-day stay-cation w/ wife @Unicornlury at the posh Hotel Monteleone. I feel very refreshed.
Sunburnt & happy. Two days of work-free bliss w/ @AdamVolle had to end, but they were epic.
Unfortunately, turns out boss #2 is worse at folding than boss #1 when it comes 2 hostel mgmt. I spasm every time I pass the linen closet.
Dorm #5's trashed. Filled it w/ 6 guests who all happened to be party people and hit it off like gangbusters. Looong night. #joysofhostelmgmt
Whenever guests ask if it's safe to walk at night, I tell 'em for God's sake no, they wouldn't make it a block. Pokerface. #joysofhostelmgmt
MY #BIRTHDAY TYPEWRITER JUST ARRIVED!!! Gonna wait 'til wife @Unicornlury gets back home to open it up.
:D Guest: dunno if I prefer calling you Amy or Eve. Me: Funny how neither of those are my name... Guest: OH. I'll just go with Eve, then.
ANNA
When guests meet Adam 1st, they all think it's hilarious to jokingly call me Eve.This latest guest is 1st to ACTUALLY *keep* calling me Eve.
Just took stock: 1/2 a roadblock in alley, traffic cone by kitchen, & BIG "ROAD WORK AHEAD" sign on patio. Thanks, drunk guests!
In hostel: 1/2 a roadblock in alley, traffic cone in kitchen, & BIG "ROAD WORK AHEAD" sign on patio. Thanks, drunk guests. #joysofhostelmgmt
ADAM
paranoid phonecall: "do you wash the sheets after each guest?" I was too busy laughing 2 think 2 joke: "nah, most of our guests don't notice."
ANNA
"Dead-junebug-in-front-hall" wkend count: Fri=28, Sat=39, Sun=27. EW. Yes, I did count them after sweeping them up each day. Don't judge me.
It took Anna almost exactly 1 year (1 yr. anniversary here tomorrow!), but she has met our Most Troublesome Customer Ever. #joysofhostelmgmt
![]() |
| The shining Mississippi |
![]() |
| A glorious performance of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in City Park. Shakespeare sounds pretty good outdoors. :) |
![]() |
| "Midsummer..." audience sitting around a little lake for the final act |
![]() |
| Our sweet little suite at the Hotel Monteleone: Living Room |
![]() |
| : Bedroom |
![]() |
| : Bathroom (jacuzzi jets in the tub! Yes!!) |
![]() |
| THE JOINT: Best BBQ I've ever had - even better than Pete's Meat in Gwinnett Co. |
![]() |
| THE JOINT: The big silver thing's where the magic is added to the meat |
![]() |
| THE JOINT: It's worth the wait, guys |
![]() |
| We had a quick wander through Lafayette Cemetery in the Garden District |










No comments:
Post a Comment