Wednesday, July 6, 2011

J.O.H.M.: November 2010

In November the weather finally began to turn cool - mercifully so! It was a month with some stressful moments: we began to suspect our housekeeper of stealing from guests, as money and belongings continued to disappear (she was, too). We had a terrible 2 days when we thought we had overbooked the whole hostel (we hadn't). We ended up cooking a huge Thanksgiving meal for the whole hostel - a tradition the owners started when they opened - and it was just Adam and I. I got super stressed, because I didn't know until the day OF that it was going to be ME cooking (I don't like cooking). In the end all things worked out, and month had plenty of enjoyable moments to balance the stressful ones.


ADAM
Have to e-mail a bunch of women who signed up for a female-only dorm and let 'em know sorry, they're getting male company. This won't be pretty. #joysofhostelmgmt
5 Nov

 
ADAM
No, Mr. Japanese Tourist; as willing as I am to prostitute myself for a good review, you may not borrow my personal toe nail clippers. #joysofhostelmgmt
6 Nov

 
ADAM
Wow - the English girls leaving Room 8 dropped off a thank-you card and box of chocolates. I've been tipped before, but...
8 Nov 


ANNA
I love it when guests give us gifts.Especially $$. ^_^ This week, I've racked up $10, a bouquet of flowers & a box of fererro rocher chocolates! #joysofhostelmgmt
12 Nov 

ADAM
16 Nov 




ANNA
This is what happens when I leave the hostel @ night: came back 2 find Adam telling our life story to guests w/ empty wine bottle in hand :D #joysofhostelmgmt
22 Nov


ADAM
Ah. EXPLETIVE-expletive. Did we really just successfully double-book the entire hostel? The are a distant memory.
22 Nov

 
 ADAM
: woke yesterday to find the support beams of our patio roof knocked out and said roof in yard. We suspect the Estonians.
25 Nov


ADAM
Wife has successfully cooked a great Thanksgiving meal for 50 guests, w/ only me for a Tonto to her Lone Ranger. ?
25 Nov


ANNA
Relishing the $15 tip from the Indians from room 3, "Get yourselves a nice bottle of wine!" #joysofhostelmgmt
28 Nov


ANNA
Good grief, what is going on? Another $10 tip, this time from the German in (crappy little) room 14! Not complaining... :) #joysofhostelmgmt
28 Nov


ADAM
Can't go to bed tonight 'til the police car shows up so I can file a report on the stuff stolen from a guestroom.
28 Nov


I'm not sure where exactly all my November photos  went - I can't even find the pic of me in our kitchen with a large knife and horrible grimace on my face in the middle of cooking Thanksgiving dinner (shame, 'cuz that one was a real humdinger). So to make up for the lack of pixels, I am instead going to post a highly embarrassing video I took one day when I was in the office and apparently feeling a little loopy...  I also tossed in a video taken in October, during Rob's visit when we were alligator-hunting in Jean LaFitte Park & Preserve.   ... You're welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment