April was the month I decided to take on a project : to write LETTERS. One letter a day was a lot of work, and I didn't quite reach 30 letters, but in the end, felt pleased with what I accomplished. I had a really sweet, unexpected treat: my friend Chris and his sister Sarah came to stay at the hostel for several days. We went on an Airboat Swamp Tour and ate good food and caught up. It would have been even better if Chris hadn't caught a cold (or something evil), and Sarah hadn't had to leave early, but we enjoyed the time we had together.
I'm still hunting down those swamp photos. Updates to follow. Until then, there are some pics below of some picturesque bungalows on the Mississippi when it was so swollen and flooded. They're romantically perfect for my idea of what a river house should look like.
Also a couple photos of a date Adam & I had at Commander's Palace - a really fancy restaurant in the Garden District. That dress I'm wearing has a story all of it's own, which Adam's mom is writing up for me. I'll share it with you when our guest writer sends it to me. :)
ADAM
I'm still hunting down those swamp photos. Updates to follow. Until then, there are some pics below of some picturesque bungalows on the Mississippi when it was so swollen and flooded. They're romantically perfect for my idea of what a river house should look like.
Also a couple photos of a date Adam & I had at Commander's Palace - a really fancy restaurant in the Garden District. That dress I'm wearing has a story all of it's own, which Adam's mom is writing up for me. I'll share it with you when our guest writer sends it to me. :)
ADAM
Get up at 4:30AM & find 6 cops and EMS taking away puking, stoned underage members of the chaperoned college group. #joysofhostelmgmt
#joysofhostelmgmt: This morning, the electronic lock to an entire dormitory broke, sewage came up in our bathtubs, & we ran out of TP. (sigh)
After last night's shared crawfish boil (w/ wine, 'taters, corn, & lemon squares!), we are FEELING the guest-love! #joysofhostelmgmt
Walk-in came in for a bed, then asked how other hostels were. I told him. He said that sounded better and left. #joysofhostelmgmt
To my no-doubt eternal regret, just failed to get a camera before Wife realized her skirt was tucked N2 back of her panties. #HAHAHAHA Lucky for her, no guests in sight.
Just wasted 30 mins of my life explaining to a stubbornly uncomprehending woman that if u don't cancel B4hand & then don't show 4 a reservation, YES we charge you. #joysofhostelmgmt
Always amusing when guests from Australia, etc. ask if bars on Bourbon St. are going to let them in while wearing thongs. #joysofhostelmgmt
A party of 24 Danish college students has left us a thank-you card w/ $45 & a suggestion we go to dinner. Sweet of them! #joysofhostelmgmt
Uh oh. The Movie Studio next door wanna film around us, so our street's now a tow-away zone. This may cause problems. #joysofhostelmgmt.
Had to wake up at 3 for three late check-ins and a clogged bathroom sink. Couldn't get back to sleep. Trying again now. #joysofhostelmgmt
Brilliant Wife suggested hiding easter eggs (w/ prizes like credits for free beer) around the hostel for our guests. Done! #joysofhostelmgmt
Our reviews now average 88%, a new record for our hostel!!! #joysofhostelmgmt
Aww. After a heart-poundingly exciting moment of rising to 88% on Hostelworld ratings, we've returned to 87% today. :( #joysofhostelmgmt
A Korean guest has made Galbi for us! Whoohoo! #joysofhostelmgmt
Guest: "We wanted to see Kermit Ruffin (NOLA musician celeb) but couldn't get in." Local: "Aww, #$@* man - you want me to take you to his house?" #joysofhostelmgmt
![]() |
| Swag |
![]() |
| Best creme brulee I have ever tasted *mouth waters* Note the left-over potato-crusted fish in tinfoil. The next day, we said, "let's eat the duck!" "You mean the fish?" "Um... yes, the fish-duck." |
![]() |
| I wanted so badly to keep eating, but the stomach was having no more. Adam managed to polish off most of his fantastic bread pudding. |








No comments:
Post a Comment