Friday, July 8, 2011

J.O.H.M.: January 2011

January was COLD! Adam and I began to like spending time in our little attic-room for the first time ever, because of all the heat that would get trapped up there. :)  The best part of this month was a two-days-in-a-row vacation, when Adam and I stayed in a beautiful bed and breakfast on St. Charles Avenue. It was exquisite and we had a full night on the town before crashing into our (gorgeous) antique bed and sleeping in the next morning - something that's hard for us to do together, normally. There were also some sniffly noses, Adam began taking Krav Maga classes, we enjoyed a slight lull in the stress of holiday busy-ness while still keeping all the hostel's beds full, and we had a couple of encounters with some really TRULY craaaaaayyyyyzzyyy guests (note the mention of a bi-polar girl in tweet below... She ended up in the psychiatric ward in downtown NOLA!). Ahh, the joys of hostel management!


 ADAM
was fine. New Years morning wasn't. I got woken up by a guest w/ an air horn in his room at 3AM. AN AIR HORN.
2 Jan


ADAM
1 guest needs 2 more nights 2 stay for court. Told girls on Bourbon t'flash him. They said, "You first." In his state, he found that fair. Cops, not so much.
2 Jan


ADAM
A severely bipolar girl and her also-not-right husband just made my hostel their battlefield. Separated them, drove him to a guest house.
3 Jan


ADAM
The #$@* who woke me up EVERY NIGHT OF HIS STAY for some B.S. reason left my hostel a 66% review.
3 Jan

 
ANNA
Guests dropping like flies from arrival list 2day due 2 snowstorm! not complaining: slow day +cancellation policy says hostel still gets $$.
11 Jan


ANNA
Guest puked in his/her blanket last night. Instead of 'fessing up and asking for another one, idiot threw it in the trash.
12 Jan


ADAM
reports a guest puked in blanket last night. 'Stead of fessing up and asking for a new one, idiot threw it in trash.
12 Jan


ADAM
Just successfully bribed city employees w/ a six-pack of assorted beer. .
13 Jan


ANNA
1st thing I do in the AM: check Twitter updates from @ to see how his night went. :) Last night looked good: bribery, beer, Mamet.
13 Jan


ADAM
beds full last night. Told a hopeful guy as much.This morning, wife found him sleeping on the floor in our dorms.
14 Jan


 ADAM
Guest, told she cannot use her sleeping bag + pillow for sanitary reasons, is sleeping on her coat instead of our sheets.
15 Jan


ADAM
Overbooked a Spanish girl for a single private room tonight. So I put her alone in a 8-bed dormitory room. Technically, I win
15 Jan 




ADAM
Guest asks about a "tram named Desire".
15 Jan


ADAM
Guest complains he returned at 8AM from Bourbon wanting pancakes, but couldn't have any b/c they were "do it yourself" + he was 2 inebriated.
17 Jan


 ADAM
Man on phone asks about a twin-bed private, then asks how many people he's allowed in it. I say 2 (duh). He wants 6. Ah, Central Americans.
18 Jan


ADAM
Just announced to the common room "We have another Aussie!" (for we're full of them now), only for the guest to say: "I'm English."
18 Jan


ANNA
Just plunged a *sink*. First time for everything.
23 Jan  



ANNA
Guests' favorite beer hidey spots: bathrooms, beside the front door, on the laundry machine, in pockets of our pool table.
29 Jan


ADAM
: listening to a German stage actor tell of the time he had a 'wardrobe malfunction' during the finale to THE FULL MONTY.
29 Jan






Winter citrus in the backyard of the B & B

Our beauti-mous room & old bed

We could have had any room in the place, as they were empty, but I chose this one b/c of the  tub. :D

Another room in the B & B


I LOVE BATHTUBS!

Swingin' music @ the Spotted Cat on Frenchman Street

They cooked us eggs and toast and bacon, and the owner came and ate with us and jawed a while


Parlor


Adam's Krav Maga classes are across the Mississippi, so he scoots across on the Algiers ferry 3 times a week - this is view of NOLA from across the river

We received our first award from Hostelworld! We've been rated as one of the top 10 hostels in the USA for the past 7 months! Yay!





**I would just like to note that I am apparently not only terrible at remembering specifics from the past, I've also turned into a fairly bad historian of my own life. I know I had visits from a LOT of wonderful people...but I have to confess that I have a terrible, ominous feeling that I'm forgetting to mention someone's visit in here. Please don't be offended if you're reading these blogs. Any visit omissions were completely unintentional. It's possible I have a case of early Alzheimer's - though it's more likely that my brain is just lazy (*Rachel!* When did you come? December? And didn't we take photos while you were her??).  **


No comments:

Post a Comment