Saturday, July 2, 2011

Joys Of Hostel Management (J.O.H.M.): July 2010

Happy Anniversary to me! :D  *confetti*

Yesterday, July 1st 2011, marked the one-year anniversary of my arrival in New Orleans. (Dear lord, but it went quickly... Jaw-droppingly quickly)

In honor of this special occasion, I have a little treat for you, dear readers: back in March I randomly started reading back through the messages Adam and I posted on Twitter throughout those 9 months.** Most of our funniest tweets were about random or annoying things happening at the hostel, and we usually labeled them "#joysofhostelmanagement."  It was a hilarious trip down memory lane, and I began compiling the best of the tweets to turn into a blog post about our hostel management adventures. So for the next 12 days, you'll get one post per day, representing each of the 12 months we've spent here. Enjoy!

**for those of you unfamiliar with the particularities belonging to the art of Tweeting, each message one sends out into the Twit-world is only allowed to be 140 characters long. This is why there are so many abbreviations and annoying word substitutions in the below messages. Normally, it makes Adam and I shudder to change "you" to "u", but the tweet sometimes demands it. Apologies to the grammatically sensitive.

JULY:


ANNA
Learning how to run a hostel. Life is goooood!
1 Jul


ANNA
First shuttle pick-up and guest check-in on my own -- I got this, yo. :)
4 Jul


ANNA
Fellow employees/bosses =watching fireworks and getting smashed, I'm cozy in the hostel office with internet, my Kindle and the boss's dog
4 Jul



ANNA
Good grief, was tonight a test or something?Missing bedsheets, broken light fixtures, a screaming dog, no gas in shuttle van - crazy night!
5 Jul


ANNA
Booked my first tour! Dang, that was an easy $40.
5 Jul


ADAM
Another day of learning on the job with half my brain tied behind my back. But the bosses are very cool with that. Now to watch THE GAME.
8 Jul


ADAM
My first Saturday night managing a hostel in New Orleans. Yeah, things are lively.
10 Jul


ANNA
Bourbon House Hostel is currently listening to Lille. And loving it.
15 Jul


ANNA
Housecleaner quit on ME, after we had a weird wrestling tussle over making pancake batter for breakfast. Lucky for me, the bosses didn't really like her anyways.:/
21 Jul


ANNA
Augh! Dorm bed guest thinks she got bed bug bites - the death knell for any hostel! Truly the most terrifying prospect ever. *bites nails*
21 Jul



ANNA
No housecleaner = me cleaning WHOLE hostel every day. It's a good morning when I've finished cleaning all 5 bathrooms before 9:30. w00t!  :)
25 Jul

.
First impressions: neighbors

First impressions: neighbors

First impressions: Boss #1 (the one on the right)

First impressions: French Quarter

First impressions: visit from Sarah!

First impressions: French Quarter

First impressions: French Quarter - perfect little green house

First impressions: French Quarter alleyways

First impressions: Rainbow

First impressions: Restaurants I enjoy

First impressions: Mardi Gras love

First impressions: View from our loft/room into office below

First impressions: Office, with stairs leading to our loft/room

First impressions: Welcome to the Bourbon House Hostel!

First impressions: my kitchen

.

No comments:

Post a Comment