Tuesday, November 3, 2015

NaBloPoMo 2015: Day 3 "Such great heights"

I love hiking. For the nature and the friends and the exercise, sure, but I think I like it most for the heights. For the sense of loft, if you will. The higher up I can get, the better - and I mean that in the very literal, physical sense.

So I was thrilled to cross off #3 on my list: Climb the highest mountain in South Korea!

This summer, we took a glorious mini-vacation to Jeju island, the so-called "Hawaii of Korea." Along with my friend Sujeong, we spent three days hiking through some very beautiful countryside. The first two days we hiked on the Olle trails - a set of trails that encircle the whole island. .


Day 1: rainy but beautiful



squid to dry

HILARIOUS...I don't remember what


We completed the entire Olle Trail #1! Stamps to prove it

Made a friend


I off-roaded to snap this poetic shot of the falls in Seogwipo

Day 2: Sunny and clear and hot!

We hiked Olle Trail #7, and it was gorgeous

This hike had the most stunning seaside scenery


my stalwart companions

A trail marker, shaped like a horse!



I couldn't resist - the water was cool and clear!

There was apparently a TV drama filmed in this location, so we made Adam "dress up"

On day 3, we tackled Mt. Halla, the  highest peak in South Korea!

Day 3: it was a stunner!

Up so high

Crater on top of Halla

Big sky, lotsa people

SO TRIUMPH. MANY SWEAT. SUCH HAPPPY.

NAPS

The pole that proves we were at the top of Korea!

Lovely crater at the top



We stayed in hostels, hiked, ate, and slept like rocks. I loved every second. But I especially loved the peaks. :)

Carpe diem,

A

p.s. Today I said NO to taking a taxi home, and I said NO to asking Adam to buy me an indulgent pretzel from Auntie Anne's (nom).







1 comment:

  1. Man, that scenery looks great in photos, doesn't it? It was beautiful in person too, but somehow seeing it later...

    ReplyDelete