Thursday, November 12, 2015

NaBloPoMo 2015: Day 12 "Shutterbug"

#9 Learn how to take quality pictures

Here's the  problem:

I learned. I read up on blogs and websites and got the basic principles of photography down.

But I am terrible about practicing what I've learned! Nature and real life just doesn't easily line up for me. I see something I like and then try to force it into the rule of thirds or vanishing perspectives or whatever, instead of seeing THOSE RULES in nature, and capturing them.

My point is, you've also got to have an eye.

Obviously, you can cultivate and develop that eye, like a muscle. But it's not one I think I've ever naturally possessed. I'm excellent as an admirer - if you give me enough time with any bit of art, I think I can even extrapolate and find meaning where there truly exists none, ha.

But my eye doesn't bend and pause over camera frame moments.

Or so it seems! It was interesting to learn the basic techniques of framing and such, and I'm sure I'll keep them in mind, but I'm not going to let myself obsess over getting a "perfect shot" either.

What I will change is my photo volume. Before snapping a photo with my iPhone, ask myself "what am I going to do with this shot?" Is it for a personal collection somewhere? To share with a friend? Or is it just that click-happy impulse that leads to hundreds of unnecessary photos sitting in folders on my hard drive? If the latter, then maybe I don't need to take the photo in the first place and instead just enjoy the view or thing for what it is.

Carpe foto,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment