Friday, November 13, 2015

NaBloPoMo 2015: Day 13 "Presence is a present"

#11 Give yoga/meditation a real shot

This has been a pivotal event for me: I was walking to work, and when my crosswalk guide turned green, multiple cars streamed through the zebra stripes, seemingly caring zip about the people trying to get across.

I felt such frustration at them for behaving unsafely and endangering everyone that I slapped the tail of one car as it fled merrily away.

I felt immediate shame. What if my boss had been at the stoplight, and watched me do that? Or a coworker? Or a friend? Or anyone, really.

And a seed was planted deep: I don't want to be a person who gets angry over something as small as a car.

So I've started taking a moment in bed every morning, after giving Boo Thang a good morning kiss, but before everything really starts, and just asking myself two questions: 1. What kind of person do I want to be today? 2. What is actually important/meaningful? It's a focusing moment, and has already made my days lighter and better.

But to truly satisfy this "30 item" I went online and found several "meditation for beginners" YouTube videos. I tried a different video each morning for about 5 days. And I enjoyed it (some videos more than others), and even found it to be helpful for my attitude and posture and breathing throughout the day.

But after those 5 days, I left off practicing and honestly didn't miss it either. A strong case could be made that I didn't actually give it enough time or effort, but I'm satisfied regardless. Maybe I'll take it up again in the future, maybe not!

Until then, carpe breathing!

A

No comments:

Post a Comment