I just happen to love sheets. I'm passionate about sheets in pretty much every sense: I love making up a bed perfectly, in such a way that the sheets aren't going to come undone in the middle of the night and get all tangled up in your legs. I love pulling them out of the dryer, warm and smelling wonderful. I love folding them crisply and without wrinkles and having them lined up neatly in the linen closet.
![]() |
| Like so. |
![]() |
| Yes. I took multiple photos of our linen closet. |
I especially love crawling into a freshly made bed after having taken a shower - the feeling of utter cleanliness and coziness is blissfully overwhelming.
I dislike when sheets don't fit the mattress properly (i.e. too big, too small). I hate when sheets are folded sloppily. Stained sheets make me grimace. I become extremely disgruntled when the sheets tangle and un-tuck from their proper places while one is sleeping.
![]() |
| Sorry Tracy Emin - not my kind of art! *shudder* |
I hate getting into bed knowing that the sheets aren't clean (hence why I shower at night - I'm not getting daily grime in my bed). And I hate crappy sheets with low thread counts.
This job caters perfectly to my sheet obsession. From 7am-3pm, 6 days a week, I'm washing sheets, making beds, washing sheets, folding sheets, washing sheets and folding more sheets.
So, while I'm really not OCD, it might be true that my ardor for sheets can occasionally resemble something of that obsessive nature. Like when Adam is folding sheets on his shift while I'm in the office, and my eyes glaze over and my hands start twitching and edging toward his pile of folded sheets, burning with desire to re-fold them more neatly. It takes every ounce of my will-power to resist this temptation, and sometimes I'm just not strong enough. (It's at moments like those that I realize how much Adam must love me, because he's not doing a bad job by any stretch of the imagination, yet he frequently allows me to refold his work and doesn't even glare at me while doing so.)
Heh. Ok, that's enough.
*End of sheet rant*
On a totally unrelated note, last night I experienced ZUMBA for the first time. It kicked my butt. No really, if last night was an epic battle between a fitness-dance class and I, the score was somewhere around Zumba:35, Anna:1 (my point was for showing up).
And I want more.
Go on, youtube it - and see if you can say that it doesn't look like a hilariously fun way to burn calories. Just be warned. I went to bed at 8:45pm last night because I couldn't keep my eyelids open any longer.
p.s. For any other sheet lovers out there, I recently splurged guiltlessly on a gorgeous set of modal sheets (found at your neighborhood Wal-Mart). These are magic sheets - soft and cozy/warm in the winter, and yet cool an light in the summer. I have mini-celebrations every night when I crawl into bed and realize how happy a tiny thing like fabulous sheets can make me.



Anna, I totally understand your sheet issue. My husband has always called me a "sheet-snob" as I refuse to sleep on less that 400 thread count. Try overstock.com. They have great prices on fantastic sheets!
ReplyDelete