I thought ice cream trucks had disappeared since my childhood; Probably because I haven't lived in a kid-populated neighborhood in over 7 years (give or take). But here in the Lower Garden District of Nawlins, the ice cream truck is a regular sound byte during the warm months of the year - which is about 9.5 out of 12.
The first time I heard the jangling music blaring from a truck, I had a jumble of thoughts.
"Ice cream trucks still EXIST? Cool! A blast from my past!"
"Does anyone actually buy stuff from those guys?"
"Ew, I'll bet they're sketchy with a creepy guy handing out melty eskimo pies."
"Mm. Ice cream sounds good. I wonder how much an ice cream sandwich would cost...?"
AND THEN I DISCOVERED THE REPLACEMENT FOR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK:
The Cupcake Truck
I'm not making this up, guys, the Cupcake Truck exists and I can testify to having purchased a $2 red velvet cupcake with vanilla bean icing FROM A SIDEWALK on Magazine Street, and then eating the whole thing in about 7 seconds flat. It's a good thing I only had two dollars in my wallet at the time, because one was simply not enough.
They update loyal followers with their location via twitter and facebook posts, so we can know exactly which sidewalk to walk down on any given day. ...Nom, nom nom...
Cupcake Truck, you're my new favorite thing about this city.

CUPCAKES NOM NOM NOM!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome - there's nothing like thinking "Ooo, ice cream" and being one-upped with a cupcake truck. Nawlins sounds like some serious win. :)
There's an ice cream truck that goes by my house, and a hand-pushed cart that comes by the school (oh, yes, Mexican kids buy ice cream from the cart). And I'm not sure if they use it, but my favorite ice cream place in Denver has--get this--an ice cream BICYCLE!!!
ReplyDeletecupcake truck driver is the job i've always wanted but never knew existed UNTIL NOW
ReplyDeletethank you darlin sister for shedding light on my life's purpose.
duh omg !