Saturday, February 5, 2011

"For the convenience of Adam and Anna..."

NOTE: This post is a leftover tidbit from our 4 months in Korea, originally penned on the 25th of April, 2010. I recently wrote myself a weekly schedule, and my schedule ambitiously states that I will post on my blog 3 times a week, on Monday, Thursday and Saturday. Thus has recycling old, unpublished posts become totally valid. Especially on days when the housecleaner has off (today), so it's up to me to clean and sheet all the rooms for check-outs/check-ins before 3pm.


This weekend was a Perfect Weekend.

It wasn't really perfect - Saturday and Sunday nites I had cruel headaches which sent me to bed earlier than I'd have liked and we spent a lot of time on the metro when we would have preferred to have been above ground soaking up the sunshine - but it was close enough to merit the title, since the overall impression we kept after it was over was one of bliss.

Friday night, we went to the movies, to start the weekend off right with some overpriced entertainment. Actually, I was more excited about the ice cream cone I got before the movie ("HOKEY POKEY" FROM NEW ZEALAND, OMG YUM) than the movie, because we were going to see "Kick-A*s" and I had no interest in the movie apart from the mildest of curiosities.

Amazingly enough, despite the movie's overindulgence of profanity and gory violence, I ended up enjoying myself, and both Adam and I came away singing one of the jazzier songs from the soundtrack (which we purchased on iTunes yesterday).

And thus began the weekend!

Saturday, I woke early and skyped with Mom and Maria, which of course put me in an even better mood than before - and the cinnamon-sugar soft pretzel I had for breakfast didn't hurt either. Then Adam and I set out for an Adventure.

Adventure! I  love adventures!

Well, this one might seem a little tame compared to kayaking or backpacking Europe, but it was delightful nonetheless: we decided to visit one of the large palaces in downtown Seoul.

One long metro ride later, we were snapping pics, reading historical plaques and having a fabulous time imagining hide-and-seek or Blob games with a big group of friends in the spacious palace grounds.

And the palace was huge. Not the buildings - tiny doors and closet-sized living spaces were still the norm (even for kings) - but the palace grounds, MAN! Big. Think Big.

I learned that everything in the palace was set up "for the convenience of the king." His schedule, the placement of his rooms, the availability of his women, EVERYTHING. His subjects were devoted to their king having everything he wanted and needed, as conveniently as possible.

It was fascinating. And very beautiful (see pics below). Adam and I came away from the day half joking to each other that we could very well say that it sure seems like someone has planned our lives for our convenience. We live such full, vibrant lives, and we lack for absolutely nothing. In a world of constant updates, we really do have everything we need/want at our very fingertips, and neither of us is shy about taking advantage of the possibilities that lie so close.

Travel, jobs, great food, entertainment, study, friendships, family, challenges, toys....all this and more have we been blessed with. We live like kings!

.... Not much of a legend considering that no one is old for forever. ;)




Old poster for "War and Peace" with Audrey Hepburn





Example of old adverts for medicine (in the childrens' imitation village - part of the palace grounds)







Little green doors were everywhere. Irresistible to Anna: small + green!

:)





Every rooftop had these figures on them


Cherry blossom glory

No comments:

Post a Comment