Saturday, October 1, 2011

Dan the Man

This is a big autumn for my oldest bro, Daniel. Not only did both he and his girlfriend recently have birthdays, but in exactly ONE week, they're getting married! I'm so excited. Not only do I really love these two and want to see them happy/married/etc, Adam and I are also taking a week off of work (the 4th-11th) to be in Atlanta helping out with all the fixin's and trimmin's.

So: time with family, big party to celebrate Dan + Lily, no work, no stress, Wicked at the Fox Theatre, Adam's Atlanta family and cake - yay! Really, Dan's MORE than earned a wedding gift from us - this is practically a gift from them to us!

On a completely serious note, though, I couldn't be happier to be officially welcoming Lily as a Bellury sister and partying the two lovebirds into matrimony. It's gonna be realz, y'all.

And ... the fast-approaching wedding is the reason why my hair currently looks like THIS:



Call me crazy (no go ahead, call me crazy), but I got it in my head that I needed a vintage/retro hairstyle to go with my sweet little vintage bridesmaids dress. It's a '50s housewife inspired lacy thing that goes perfect with a pair of navy pinup heels.

What hairstyle would go along with this, you ask? More importantly, what LONG HAIR style could work on my thick, coarse head for this look? And the answer is: Veronica Lake's hair.



She was one of the few 1940s starlets to sport long hair, in a time when short was IN. My hair is well below my shoulders at the moment, so she was the obvious go-to for inspiration. Turns out, she used "pin curls" to get those soft, graceful waves. She, and every other woman in the 40s and 50s!

So I dragged my friend Nicki over for the afternoon, with promises of lemon bars and movies, and made her help me with the tedious process of rolling my hair into the precise pin curls that are supposed to produce such magical curls. I figured we needed to test this sucker out before choosing it for the wedding day.

However, I have my doubts that the curls in my hair will turn out MAGICAL. In this video, her pin curls are super neat and precise. My head, on the other hand, looks more like a jumble of mini bird nests. If something looking even remotely close to the woman's hair in the youtube video comes out tomorrow morning, I will be veeeerrryy surprised. :) But I had fun with Nicki, and lemon bars, popcorn and Snapple were enjoyed by all, so the evening was a success, regardless. The curls have to "set" for 8 hours, so I have to sleep on them before taking them out.

But will I look like Jayne Mansfield in the morning? Or something very scary? Neither you nor I will know until tomorrow morning, when I take the nests down and brush them out!

Check back tomorrow, and I'll post results. :D




Here I am, two-pronged clips and bobby pins stabbing my head in every direction (the price of beauty, non?), and a long night of sleeping as motionless as possible ahead of me.



No comments:

Post a Comment