Saturday, October 22, 2011

Britney

Last month I went to a Britney Spears concert.

And had fun.

To those of you who know me well, those 2 statements are not as contradictory as they sound.  I'll explain in a minute. I'm not a Britney fan by any stretch of the imagination, but it turns out that my boss's Italian wife IS. She wanted to go to the Britney concert, my boss did not. His solution was to buy my ticket and beg me to go with said lovely Italian wife so she could enjoy the concert with someone.

But I'm getting ahead of the story. It all started when I was finishing up my shift, sweeping the last few dustballs from under a dorm bed when Adam called me. This was kinda silly, since he was just in the office and could have walked back to me.

ADAM: "Anna! You need to come to the office. Quick!"

ME: "Emergency?"

ADAM: "Nope, just come on!"

I approached the office to find Adam with a grin that would have put the Cheshire Cat to shame. Our boss was right next to him looking at me expectantly.

ME: "Uh, hey guys... what's going on?" *suspicious stares*

ADAM: "Reese has something for you." *cackle, giggle*

REESE: "Actually I have a favor to ask - will you go with my wife to the Britney Spears/Nicki Minaj concert tomorrow? I'll buy your ticket!"

I was trapped. Not only was it my boss making the request, but I could tell from Adam's gleeful expression (not malicious, mind you) that he'd already told Reese that I was free that night.

ME: ............. "Uh, sure. ...Thhhhanks?"

Adam found the whole event hysterical, because he knew it was completely out of character for me, but he also knew (shrewd, loving man that he is) that I'd get a kick out the whole concert experience and probably have a great time.

He was right. My boss's wife Nicki is a really wonderful woman, and I love getting to spend time with her (and practice my Italian!), and as first concert experiences go - this one was definitely eye-popping.  And there were plenty of very talented dancers to keep me enthralled.

All crowd events have a special energy to them - the energy of hundreds or thousands or millions of people who are all there for a communal reason, and focused on enjoying themselves. Makes for lots of noise, and high adrenaline levels. :)

Turns out that this was indeed a Girls Night Out, since all the artists on Britney's tour were female: we had sister DJs, a pop singer group, Nicki Minaj (who was a lot of fun to watch, though WEIRD) and Britney herself.

So, thanks to Reese, Nicki, Nicki Minaj annd Britney, for probable damage to my ear drums, but an overall enjoyable night.


Bella Nicki e io

DJ sisters





PACKED to the gills stadium



Eating our domino's pizza while waiting for Britney's appearance

Go girls, go!



1 comment:

  1. I am SO jealous you got to see Nicki Minaj! I lurve her...

    ReplyDelete