Friday, April 1, 2011

A Project.

New hat



Herons & egrets galore



Audubon Park bird sanctuary



I want one.



For Grace (she just had a BD, folks!)



Royal st. street performers in the French Quarter



Crawfish picnic with an Aussie, a  Brit, a NOLA girl and my new boyfriend, Sam (age 3)



Sucking the juice from 'dem crawfish



NOM NOM - corn, 'taters, berries, crawfish 'n' Root Beer



My chocolate pie topped with wHipped cream, raspberries and presented by Caz



Happy food coma in the park



Wish these girls didn't have to leave the country!



Photo booth crazy


IS THIS NOT the most comically happy face you have ever seen in your life?

As evidenced by these pics above, it's been a good week. I had to say goodbye to one of my new-found hostel friends, Susan, and next week I'm losing Caz. It's been a joy to have some girls to hang out with, eat ice cream sundaes with, dance like mad at zumba with, and generally just be girly.

The photos I really wanted to post (but didn't) contained hard evidence that not only is there a van in NOLA that sells Weed Pops (assumedly with some legal amount of weed in them, but they didn't come with nutritional info, so we'll never know...), but that Adam, myself and his mother all bought some and ate those suckers. I kid you not. We all agreed they tasted very medicinal, and could have used a little more sugar to cover the grassy flavor.  :)  We also got a lot of good laughs out of that experience. If you want to see pics of the hard evidence, email me.

But here's the big news of the day.

I just made a decision. I decided that I want a project. I follow a couple of blogs that are "project" blogs, in that the blog was created to reach a goal or fulfill a specific purpose. Then there are the movies I've recently watched like "Julie & Julia" where individuals decide to ruin/revamp their lives by embarking on a quest, usually time-specific. (I also read and watched "Eat, pray, love", another time-specific, goal-oriented quest story.)

I'm feeling a little left out.

  • But... I don't like to cook. 
  • 100 portraits in 100 days of people I appreciate is definitely out, because I would need to have some shred of talent for drawing. 
  • I don't want to spend 3 months in 3 different countries trying to "find myself and become myself"  - though the travel part sounds wonderful...
  • My camera skillz aren't crazy enough to attempt taking one gorgeous photograph a day for a year. 
  • Writing a poem a day for 111 days to express my creativity would take up so much of my time every day it would keep me from going to zumba, practicing violin, chatting with friends, and eating. So that's out. 
  • And while I would LOVE to hike through a different mountain range every week for 2 years straight (*shiver of delight at the thought*), my current situation doesn't exactly allow for that, nor am I willing to give up this current situation for such a project.
While I was soberly considering the possibilities, the very simplest of answers came to me: I have a lot of letters to write to people I love. In fact, I spend who-knows-how-many minutes every day mentally composing letters that never make it to paper.

BRILLIANT "PROJECT" PLAN: One letter a day, for the 30 days of April, to 30 people I want to thank for one thing or another.

It's so perfect. I can't wipe this happy smirk of self-satisfaction off my face. Attack a new project AND get some of my long-put-off letter-writing done?

THIS IS EFFICIENCY, PEOPLE!

I'll keep you posted.

(pun intended.)

1 comment: