Monday, April 26, 2010

Fish

I confess. (And I really do feel ashamed here.)

It started out so innocently: I was going to be super nice, and join a facebook application to help out a good friend. This is not my M.O. My M.O. is to block every single application invitation without giving them a second glance. But this friend was nefarious and used puppy-dog eyes on me, and I couldn't say no. No big deal, though - It was supposed to be easy. I join the app, become her "neighbor" then ignore the whole deal for the rest of my facebook career. Whatever. Piece of cake!

And then ...someone gifted me with a fish. "Aw, neat" I thought "someone was thinking of me and wanted to give me a fish for my new tank because they think I'm actually interested in spending time on this ridiculous program." I didn't want to hurt feelings, so I accepted the gift.

BOOOOM!

The death knell sounded for my facebook morals.
A very curious thing happened: I didn't feed the little fellow, and he died. That's not particularly curious - My reaction, however, was.
I felt awful. I had just murdered a little virtual fish baby through neglect. I kept telling myself that I was not allowed to have emotional attachments for entities that only exist on my computer, but reason and logic did not prevail.

THE FULL CONFESSION: Up until just recently, I have had a tank full of well-fed fish on Fishville. I liked scrubbing the algae off my tank. I liked earning coins. And I liked getting gifts from other suckers like myself. I was having fun playing with a facebook application.

My Enjoyment of this mindless pursuit was at war with my Indignant Soul:

"You're wasting your life on virtual fish!"
"But I'm having fun."
"Get Adam to buy you a REAL fish."
"I don't want a real fish. I'd have to spend money on them and clean their gross fishbowls."
"Well whatever, you need to QUIT."
"But I don't want to quit yet."
"If you're enjoying this application so much, then why are you so careful to make sure no one else on facebook knows about it?"
"...Uh."
"You WILL quit some day. Your conscience won't let you spend the rest of your life checking facebook every day to make sure your stupid, fake fish are happy."

There was no way my whiny Enjoyment voice could win against my Soul, the Essence of Anna, so I compromised and set a Goal. When I reached level 21, I would be able to buy a FLAME ANGELFISH, which was the best-looking fish on Fishville. After I reached this level, bought a bunch of these fish and enjoyed them for a while, I'd quit altogether.

The Goal was reached on, ...er, I forget the date. About 2 weeks ago.

I now speak to you as a recovering Fishville addict.

Hi, my name is Anna and I have been Fishville free for 2 weeks now. Thank you.



I am so glad that's over.









6 comments:

  1. Really? guilty? Martha has an application called happy aquarium and the fish can't die. GO a whole week without feeding and come back to a tank of frowning fish. But she tries to get on every day to "make sure they don't go hungery". I started the fishville to compare the two experiences. and know I quit because I am to busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mebbe tomagachi's should try and make a comeback...

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe what rob said is FULL OF WIN

    ReplyDelete
  4. aren't you andrew's friend on farmville, too? ;)

    disclaimer, i can't stand farmville, and i wish he'd stop playing it. i'm like the voice in your head whining about fishville. (btw, who comes up with these names for apps on facebook?? fishville? farmville? cafeville? sigh.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. JIMI! I just quit, and now you're trying to tempt me back with the prospect of immortal (albeit sometimes grumpy) virtual fish??! Not nice, sir. But I forgive you, since you also took the leap and quit, being a good example in action, if not in word. ;)

    Robbo - good memories!

    Grace - :)

    Lindsay - heh, erm, yes. BUT, unlike my fishville experience, I have had the power and strength of character to completely resist Farmville, and I just accept anyone who needs a neighbor because I want to be nice. Though... is it actually NICE of me to encourage others in these frivolous (and badly named) pursuits by even participating in such a tiny inconsequential way? *sigh* Probably not. I should probably just delete the apps and block them like I do all the others...

    ReplyDelete