He even liked the jimjilbang (Korean sauna), and gamely submitted to scrubbing the back of one of his former bosses after going from hot tub to hot tub.
The teasing he received about this event has been rather merciless. :)
My affection for the Korean saunas runs much deeper than my husband's. I go every weekend. (This isn't really saying much, since I've only had one weekend so far to practice this habit). Here's why I love it:
- It's the only bathtub I have here
- and I love bathtubs because you can be totally completely WARM, and in wintertime, I find this luxury practically necessary
- nudity can be healthy! once I got past the initial awkwardness/embarrassment of being in a room full of Korean ladies with no clothes on (the men and women have separate sides), I began to reflect on why this was a good thing: mothers and daughters go to the sauna together, beginning at infant-hood, and so Korean girls grow up having a truthful concept of what the female body actually looks like. They know that all bodies are different, and that no one actually looks like the airbrushed models or actresses they see in the media. And the same goes for the boys accompanying their fathers, too.
- it's cheap - you can stay as long as you like for about $5-8. Massages, meals, snacks and other extras will cost a little more, but even going without all that, I can spend a good 2 hours lounging around in saunas and hot tubs and be very very happy.
- they provide you with little shirts and shorts to wear in the common area (men and women). Both Adam and I agree that the shorts (capri-length) in particular are pretty comfy.
- You could spend all day there and have e v e r ything you need. Yes, please!
Oh yeah.... I think you've just convinced me to come visit! :) I'll go be naked in a sauna anytime! I hope you're using that time to unwind and chill before getting back to school. Whether you stay where you are or go somewhere else I'm continuing to pray for you guys. Also how is the visa thing going? and what needs to be changed? Have you thought about contacting the US Ambassador in South Korea? They may be able to put some pressure on the government seeing how you're there to help the Korean people. :) Tell me when you've got some normal internet so we can skype! :) I love you both very much!!!
ReplyDeleteAnna!
ReplyDeleteSo glad for the updates! Definitely wishing I could visit you guys. Keep on posting when you get a chance!
Anna!
ReplyDeleteSo glad for the updates! Definitely wishing I could visit you guys. Keep on posting when you get a chance!