Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Getting SuperBetter!

"The time has come, the time is now!" - Me

Recently, I've been focusing on making positive lifestyle changes. I'm sick of my own laziness, indulgence, carelessness and thoughtlessness. My 27th birthday is in ONE week (!), and changing my brain and habits is only going to get harder with each passing birthday. I've heard this desire and worry echoed in the words of several friends around me, so I know I'm not alone in wanting to make some serious changes to my lifestyle. I have a lot of things going for  me (health, job, etc), and I don't want to just accept them with a lazy wave. I want to take all these gifts and MAKE something out of them. I want to make my healthy body stronger, I want to use my job to teach me discipline, I want to spend my free time pursuing the things I actually care about...

So, here I go:

I've joined a hip-hop dance class, as of one month ago (go ahead and laugh, Mary - me dancing "gangsta" is hilarious. The words "dang, Anna's looking really thug!" - said by no one, ever. ^_^)

I'm drinking more water.

I'm starting off each morning with 25 sit-ups, right off the bat. (Adam, too!)

I COOKED a dinner last week. It might even happen again - p.s. it tasted frickin' fantastic.

Aaaand, I joined this website "game" called SuperBetter.

It's not really a game, per se, so much as a "healthy living encouragement tool" - though I think it could easily be expanded into a true game format, if they wanted. Basically, this program is designed to help you improve your physical, mental, social and emotional health, and make you feel, well, better. It can be used to achieve a particular goal or overcome an injury or trauma, or just to become a better you. So far I've chosen my secret identity, a set of daily goals and a future "epic win" challenge to move towards.

It may seem a little "hokey" (Rob's words), but it's doing it's job so far, and actually making me Super Better. To a degree, it's keeping me accountable and allowing me to track my accomplishments and progress.

Neat, no? It all began when I watched this really interesting TED Talk, prompted by a friend here in Korea.

I joined the website immediately after.  I'm in. I'm all in.

To my friends & fam: I'd love your encouragement and help! One of the best motivators is having people you love, respect, and admire cheer you on towards a goal. If you're reading this, chances are high that you're someone I love, respect and admire. Help me make this stick (for once!)! A quick and easy way to do that is join SuperBetter as my Ally, and send me messages, suggestions, love, challenges, etc.

If you join and then decide to start your own quest towards a future Epic Win, I do solemnly promise to become your ally, and help you accomplish whatever it is your little heart desires. :)

Of course, if you don't join, I'd still love messages, suggestions, love and challenges, etc. And I promise to write you back.

Scavenger hunting at the Gwangju Kimchi Festival last weekend - we came in 7th place! It was fun AND good exercise AND a way of mingling with fellow teachers. (physical, social, mental, emotional -- check, all)

Taking time to stop and smell the roses... good for the liver.

Huge happy moment this week - a BD package from my grandma :)  Thanks, Mama B!


p.s. Happy Monday! Ok, it's Thursday  now, but I started this post on Monday, so it counts. The first 3 days of this week were mid-terms for my students, so it was a Mellow beginning to my week. Except for the SUPER INTENSE GETTING BETTER part...

1 comment:

  1. GO YOU! I used to do 20 push-ups and 30 sit-ups every morning... used to... now I just shovel animal feces and wave hammers around and figure that's good enough. :)

    ReplyDelete