So we're still running a little ragged here, and the title of this post accurately describes my current state.
Knackered. I learned this word in New Zealand, and the first time I heard it I coulda sworn the kid said something else, with his unfamiliar accent .
Kiwi: "Whew, I'm knackered"
Me: "Naked? ...You're ...nekkid? " (I eye his fully-clothed body dubiously)
Kiwi: "Naw, KNACKERED."
Me: "Nak-uhd?"
Kiwi: "Yeah, exactly. Sure could go for some Tim-Tams and Vegemite right about now."
I love the word. It's such a perfect word to describe exhaustion, because the word brings to mind other appropriate words like "KNOCKED" & "WHACK" both of which imply a violent blow of some sort.
Hm, I almost wrote that being this tired feels like being wiped out and washed ashore by a tsunami, and then I realized (happily before posting) how utterly inappropriate that would be at this moment in current events.
(But I digress, despite the devastation in Japan being very attention-worthy. One quick note first: it struck me yesterday as I watched some more news coverage how wonderfully easy it is now to donate to causes such as disaster relief. The news anchor informed me of at least 3 hi-tech options for quickly sending money (including sending a text message! Crazy!), and I found myself hoping that more people might be giving because of the simplicity and ease, and I also found myself hoping that the money people donate by these methods actually ends up going to the causes and not into the pockets of greedy, calculating people.)
Today was our day off, and HALLELUJAH for that! I'm ready to get back on my old schedule and have energy to do so. (Current schedule = Wake, work 8 hours, nap 2 hours, groggily help/bother Adam for a couple hours, eat something, brush teeth, sleep for 7 hours, repeat)
Mardi Gras itself was, however, completely worth it. We had the day of M.G. off (absolutely no one was checking in or out), and we went to a party thrown by our wonderful housekeeper, Jess. The parades on Mardi Gras Day start at the ridiculous hours of 8am and 10am, so we dutifully dragged ourselves out of bed that day and beat our way through the costume-bedecked crowds (who had started clogging the streets by 7am) to spend a good 5 hours shouting at floats to "throw us something cool!" and catching beads and dancing and eating and generally having a brilliant time.
Here's a peek inside the crazy world of NOLA Mardi Gras. Images and videos of scandalous debauchery (of which there is always PLENTY during Mardi Gras) have been edited out, to maintain the family-friendly rating of this blog ^_^
These pics are for you, Mariya, to live vicariously since you missed the party this year:
A snippet of the parade from the Krewe de Vieux (say, "crew duh vyoo"). Each parade (and there were often multiple parades on the same day) is hosted by a Krewe. If you're interested, Wikipedia can tell you all about the history of Mardi Gras in Nawlins here.
![]() |
| There were high school marching bands, cheerleaders, dancers, ROTCers, etc in all the parades, struttin' their stuff and playing fabulous jazzy music to accompany the floats |
![]() |
| Handsome hatted hubby |
![]() |
| Caught this expression of glee on Sam's face (Jess's son) as he played with the bubble guns we gave him |
![]() |
| Decked out in ball gown, pearls and Mardi Gras mask! |
![]() |
| Parade watching with fun hostel guests |
![]() |
| Adam's attempt to use the box as a seat was only a partial success |
![]() | ||||||||
| Vendors hanging together before parade |
![]() |
| Floats are pulled by tractors, 'cept in the Krewe de Vieux parade which uses donkeys/mules/horses, and the very last parades on Mardi Gras, which were decked out semi trucks |
![]() |
| Adam's favorite float (amirite, hon?) |
![]() |
| The dragon costume was waaaay cool - when he walked, his dragon wings flapped up and down |
![]() |
| These ladies could only take a couple steps at a time, for being stopped constantly and photographed :) |
![]() |
| Yarrrr, hand over the beads! |
![]() |
| Beggin' for beads |
![]() |
| The brass band was a tad loud for the delicate ears of these little ladies |
![]() |
| Yes, that's me in the pink dress, begging and yelling along with everyone else, for beads that I don't even want. :) You had to be there... |
![]() |
| The Rex parade had an "England" theme, and most of the floats were literary nods, like this Robin Hood one. |
It was wild and totally worth it. Adam and I made it separately to 3 parades each, and then Mardi Gras day, we saw 3 parades together. Thanks for les bons temps, NOLA! Now, to get some sleeeeeeeeep.....

















That's too cool for words; I'm jealous that you get to see something this fun every year. Next year save space for me at your hostel - I think I'll be joining you! ^_^ Glad to hear that y'all had a good time, despite being knackered. :)
ReplyDeleteI regret to inform you, Mary, we almost certainly won't be around for Mardi Gras next year, at least if we can help it. We've been loving our time here, but we've dreams to chase.
ReplyDeleteLikely as not we'll depart either in October or December.
Thanks for the pictures, Ms. Anna! I loved them and I was sad to miss it this year!
ReplyDelete@mv - Wish you'd been here - would have loved to have shared that craziness with you! :D
ReplyDelete@Mary - so you'll just have to come visit us sooner! :)