Friday, January 14, 2011

P.s. Dream

I have other dreams, too, by the way.


Some are seriously on my bucket list and some are just whimsy. Living in the smallest house possible is on the serious, definite-must-do bucket list. My soon-to-be-sister Lily knows me well enough to know that sending me this link to an article on tiny houses would make my day. (It totally did - Thanks Lils!)


If I owe you an email, you can blame her. I installed myself here at Starbucks with a marshmallow treat & orange juice and the firm intention to respond to all my e-correspondence that's recently accumulated. Instead, I drooled over minuscule houses, picked my top 3 and wrote a blog post.


Sorry, friends. :/ 


The Green Bridge House is definitely my top pick (and that of everyone else who read the article, apparently), but the mini-lodge in Montana is gorgeous as well:




1,184 square feet
Max Pritchard Architect
Ashbourne, Australia

According to
Small Eco Houses, the Bridge House was built for a client who didn't want to spoil the natural beauty of their property. So the architects came up with a rectangular design that bridged over a small stream.

The main windows face north and south, facilitating passive temperature control. The black cement floor serves as a thermal mass and the windows are double paned. The reflective steel cladding and surrounding trees help with cooling in the summer. There's also a pair of solar panels.


How would you like to live over a stream?

Every new article I read about small eco-houses makes me thrill with excitement, because this is a very realizable dream! I used think it was just a product of my small-obsessed mind, but people everywhere are really doing this! They are really buying and building tiny houses. Shoot, there's even a club that my sis, Grace joined a while back.  (What was that one called again, Grace?)

With a bit of ingenuity (and lots of funding), this li'l dream could probably be fused with my hostel dream...

...Maybe "World's Tiniest Hostel, Built by Crazy Americans!"?

Maybe not. ..Maybe I'll have something more like an eco-resort... Or just super-efficient spaces in all my hostels...

Whaddya think?

Ah, the possibilities. Happy, happy possibilities. It makes me feel more relaxed and more energized at the same time.

Check out some of the other small house options floating around out there!:
http://www.greenpoddevelopment.com/pods.php
http://www.squidoo.com/tiny-houses-small-homes-greenliving

http://www.twelve3.ca/
http://www.freespiritspheres.com/

(NOTE: Just to give you an idea of how engrossingly exciting this topic is for me - I swore up and down to Adam that I was going to watch "our" pizza while he went out on a shuttle run. I lied. By the time I remembered it, the pizza was a lovely shade of Burnt Sienna Brown. Sorry Hon.)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment