Normal concerns include:
- Is there a public restroom, or are the proprietors of this restaurant going to invite me to use their family bathroom?
- Is there a lock on the door of my stall?
- Is there a hook to hang my purse/jacket/bag on so I don't have to set it/them down on the smarmy, muddy, germ-laden floor?
- Is there enough or any toilet paper? (Always carry tissues...)
- Is there soap with which to wash my hands after? (Always carry hand sanitizer...)
- Are there any hand-drying apparatuses available, or will I be using my pants?
In Europe, there was an additional concern:
- Am I going to be charged for using this facility? [And follow-up: Do I have any cash or coins in the correct currency to pay for my right to pee? Is there a bathroom attendant who will expect to be tipped for pointing me to an empty stall? Do I have enough coins to tip her and keep her from being insulted by a paltry amount and retaliate by spitting on my shoes?] (always carry a couple dollars/pounds/euros/francs in change...)
In Korea, there are several additional concerns:
- Is there a toilet? If the "toilet" is just a hole in the ground, better to hold it and wait, because if you go for it anyways, you will end up peeing on your shoes (trust me).
- Did the jerks who made this restroom put the toilet paper OUTSIDE the bathroom stalls or inside? I am not kidding - they actually do this. Your ninja-like observational skills come in very handy at this point: If you notice the TP placement BEFORE entering the stall to relieve yourself, you can snag some TP and have a successful visit. If, however, you have a vague memory of successfully visiting a certain restroom before, but you fail to remember the necessary step of retrieving TP before entering your stall, you will not have a successful visit. (unless of course, you always carry tissues with you...)
- Are you in the correct restroom for your gender? Just because there is a urinal does not mean you are in the men's room. Go back and check the little bathroom pictures carefully:


...If you are still confused as to which image is male or female, or why this seems to be a restroom for chubby children, wait : and with your ninja-assassin powers of observation, note whether the next person entering/exiting the restroom in question is of the same sex as you. If not, use the other restroom.
If it is so late at night that no-one enters or exits either restroom after 5 minutes of waiting, then it doesn't matter which room you choose. Pick the one with toilet paper and soap.
Luckily for all of you, I have gone through enough restroom mishaps to safely advise you through the process should you ever be in Europe or South Korea.
You're welcome!
** I would like to clarify that the title of this series of posts is not, in fact, politically incorrect. I am perfectly aware that many of these Anna-labeled "quirks" are only regarded as quirky by me (and other foreigners) because they are different from what I (we) are used to. The title of this post series is really "Cultural difference awareness #__". However, I don't think that's as catchy as "Korea Quirk # ___", which might sound to some like I am assuming that anything different from my idea of normal is strange and quirky in and of itself. But that's not at all the meaning I was going for, thus the existence of this disclaimer to set anyone straight who was condemning me for my cultural insensitivity. I promise that I am very culturally sensitive, and that the phrase "Korea Quirk" is merely an expression of poetic license. Thank you for your understanding.
Thanks for the tips!
ReplyDeleteToo funny!!! The signs do look like the bathrooms are for chubby children. I still haven o idea if it's the chubby boys room or the chubby girls room.
ReplyDeleteOn another note, last week I asked Mazie to tell me about her favorite part of the school day. She replied that she had fun playing with her friends. I asked which friends? She said, Tatu, Audrey, Braden, Ms. Fatima, Ms. Yadi, and Ms. Anna. Then she giggled, and ran off.
@ Amber: You're welcome.
ReplyDelete:)
@ Lillemusic: Dear Lillemusic, Dang. You saw right through that fake disclaimer at the bottom of my post. Just because I'm terribly racist, gross and offensive doesn't mean you're gonna stop reading, right?
Love, la-vie-en-verte
p.s. you need to start posting your own racist and gross blogposts.
@ Jamy: Gah, stop breaking my heart! Lord I miss that (your) child. Thank you so much for sharing!! <3
Man, if you're a dude, and all you have to take care of is a #1, you've kinda got it made, because option "Sneak behind a tree outside" is always available.
ReplyDeleteAlso rofltaco at that first male/female bathroom sign.
@ Robbo: Yes. Mixing females and public restrooms is just cruel, and most women find themselves longing for a "sneak behind nearest tree" option at some point in their lives.
ReplyDeleteI had to look up ROFLTACO on Urban Dictionary. The first definition was : "A delicious taco made of all things roflicious."
The second definition had to do with floors, laughter and detachable derrieres.
Glad you liked the pix!