
As you can see, he is the epitome of awesome.
The above photo shows him playing Quiddler at Pizza Hut with me. Quiddler is a word-game like Scrabble (only billions of times better: for one thing, it's portable and compact and travels well. Have you ever tried whipping out that Scrabble board on an airplane?) and I always win it. Adam doesn't like Quiddler, probably partly because he always loses.
Yet... he asks me to play it with him ALL THE TIME. If I didn't love the game so much, I would be tired of it by now. (I'm not. Sorry Adam - maybe that's been your goal all along?)
Why is he always pestering me to play this game he doesn't really enjoy? He says, and I quote, "Because I love watching you play, and seeing how happy it makes you."
*I should probably note here, in case anyone doesn't know, that Quiddler is one of the very very very few things I am fanatical about. I get a little crazy and hyper-competitive when I have Quiddler cards in my hand. Those small, rectangular, purple-and-white pieces of plasticized paper trigger a part of my psyche that otherwise lies dormant and peaceful. For example: normally when playing games, I am more likely to comfort a non-winner than to crow in ecstasy over their defeat. Not so with Quiddler. I want you to go down - IN. FLAMES. *
My husband doesn't seem to care that I get verbally abusive or have the annoying habit of pumping my fists every time he is dealt a bad hand, or slips farther behind in the scores. Nope! In fact, he is enjoying my triumph, and gets a huge kick out of seeing my excitement and occasionally creepy passion for the game.
!
I have no idea how he suppresses his natural sentiments of shame and frustration, but I know it has to do with how much he loves me.
And speaking of love, that's why I'm writing this post in the first place: Today is Adam's 27th birthday, and I wrote this to talk about how much I love him and why.
Let us consider the facts:
He randomly buys me flowers - either Red Roses of Romantic love, or lilies (my faves)....
He is an effective, fascinating and well-loved teacher...
He is a pirate...
He talks to animals and plants as if they can understand everything he says... (why is this so endearing? I don't know. But I feel all crumbly with love every time it happens)
He has approximately 2 vices, both of which are completely forgivable and easily droppable, should he ever get the inclination...
Kentucky Fried chicken...
...and Coca-Cola
He can iron his own shirts...
He can cook his own food...
He still says he loves me, even though I try to push him out of bed every night (in my sleep - I contend that I'm just subconsciously trying to get closer to him). It's probably lucky for me that he's a lot heavier than I am.
<-- what Adam thinks happens
what I think happens -->
He is a wild and crazy dancing fool!...
He does a killer Louis Armstrong impersonation on Karaoke nights...
And I love him MORE than Quiddler.
...












well that is just about the CUTEST post ever- keep him around for a very long time, because beating your husband at anything is a secret thrill- not that I would know, I never win :)
ReplyDeletewow - your post made me all crumbly with tears, maybe it's springtime or latent sentimentality, but that's super sweet!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE QUIDDLER! And I am officially stating here and now that it's impossible for me to get married because I have too many guy friends who are phenomenal husbands, and I'm completely unwilling to settle. It makes me feel kinda sad for the scores of men who are lining up to romance me. I would go offer them all conciliatory handshakes or something...if only I knew where they were.
ReplyDelete